On behalf of the District of Kitimat, I congratulate Progressive Ventures on a “job well done”… From the tendering stage to completion…, we appreciate your firm’s diligence and honesty throughout.
Design-Build is a Project Delivery System in which the design and construction services are contracted by a single entity known as the design-builder or design-build contractor. In contrast to “design-bid-build” (or “design-tender”) where an architect is hired separately produces plans which are put out to tender, and a contractor is selected, usually based on the lowest price
The key benefits of Design-Build include:
- Single source of accountability – The design/build approach provides a single source for your entire project. In the classic design-bid-build method the owner must: Select an architect/designer, finalize the design, bid the project, select a contractor, and then act as an intermediary. The design-build method fosters teamwork and lends itself to cooperation. The relationship built during the design phase helps to ensure that the stage is set for a successful construction project.
- Budget management – Discussing budget during the design phase (not waiting until the bids come in) helps to keep the projects within a realistic budget. Communicating the cost implications of design decisions ensures that the owner plays a key role in arriving at the final project price. Once the scope of work has been finalized, the project costs are clearly defined and controlled by the design/build firm. The owner ends up with a true “hard cost” construction contract and there is no such thing as “over-budget.”
- Enhanced communication – Specific design and construction details are being developed throughout the entire process and the focus stays on owner “value”. The communication benefits of working with a design professional and a construction expert at the same time ensures that potential problems are discovered before the project starts.
- Faster project completion – Design build projects can be completed in a shorter amount of time because: Bid time is reduced, scheduling for the project can begin before design is finalized, potential construction problems are uncovered early and enhanced communication keeps everything moving.
- Quality Control – The design build method helps to remove ambiguity that may arise in material and construction specifications. Since the designer, engineer and builder are from the same firm, the focus remains on protecting the clients’ interest.